Fort Lauderdale Children’s Theatre, Inc. (FLCT), a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, is an educational center for theatre arts serving children and families across South Florida. The oldest documented children’s theatre in the state of Florida, FLCT was founded in 1952 by two mothers in a garage and was later incorporated in 1959. The theatre quickly grew to be the first cultural organization in Broward County to purchase its own building and the first to perform at Parker Playhouse, the Broward County Main Library Theatre and Dillard Center for the Arts. Each year, FLCT produces a season of five mainstage productions and offers year-round classes in acting, creative drama, and other theatre-related skills. A full range of arts and educational outreach programs, a vibrant summer camp, and a variety of other performances round out the programming. FLCT is headquartered at the Galleria Mall and offers programming at locations across Broward County and beyond, impacting over 35,000 individual each year.
FLCT's Mission: Teaching the art of life through the magic of theatre.
The theatre's goals are to:
- DEVELOP the full potential of young people as members of the community
- ACHIEVE the highest possible standards of theatre through artistic excellence
- CELEBRATE the diversity of South Florida's population through collaboration and the arts
- ENCOURAGE public appreciation of the art form while developing future audiences and patrons of the cultural arts
The theatre accomplishes it goals as it continues to provide this region's residents and visitors a source of enrichment and enjoyment in the cultural arts. FLCT provides opportunities for young people to participate regardless of economic, cultural or ethnic backgrounds. Each year, over 30,000 children and adults are impacted by FLCT's programming.
All programming is education based and includes:
- Classes designed to provide formal theatre training and to develop self-esteem, discipline and creativity in children ages 4 to 18 years old. Classes take place at the FLCT Studio Theatre at the Galleria Mall in Fort Lauderdale and The Sagemont School in Davie.
- Productions provide a forum for youth and adults to create and collaborate during the main stage shows of youth performing for the public, the young repertory productions for teenage actors, and the family productions where parents, children and community leaders can audition to perform together.
- Outreach Programs serve residents and visitors to Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties who would otherwise be unable to participate in programs due to financial, geographic or cultural constraints. Programs include arts infusion residency programs, festivals for the diverse multicultural South Florida audience, special appearances, family and cultural expos, etc.
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
2014 Exceptional Arts Education Organization, Arts Ed Forever, Broward Cultural Division
2014 Outstanding Contribution to Arts Education Award for Executive Artistic Director, Arts Ed Forever, Broward Cultural Division
2014 Broadway World Award Best Community Theatre – Miami Region
2014 named one of “12 Great Children’s Theatre Across the US” by Backstage.com
2014 National Recognition for Executive Artistic Director as Honorable Mention, Characters Unite, NBC Universal
2014 Broward Family Life Family Favorite Award for After School Program
2014 Broward New Times Best Summer Camp
2013 South Florida Parenting Kid’s Crown Award Judge’s Choice Theatre
2013 Honored as an Extraordinary Arts Education program by Josh Groban’s Find Your Light Foundation
2013 Broward Family Life Family Favorite Award for Family-friendly Live Theatre
2012 Executive Artistic Director recognized as Woman Extraordinaire by South Florida Business Leader
2011 Executive Artistic Director recognized by Femfessionals and Spring for the Arts for leadership and service
2010 South Florida Theatre League honors for Executive Artistic Director and Resident Scenic Designer
2008 Best of Fort Lauderdale Award in the Theatres category by the U.S. Local Business Association
2008 Recognized by the Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce through the Small Business of the Year Awards
2007 Best Live Entertainment for Children, Gold Coast and South Florida Parenting magazines
2006 Programming Director nominated for an Onyx Award for Contributions in Education
2005 Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Year Award
2004 Executive Artistic Director received City of Hope South Florida Businesswoman of the Year Award
2003 FLCT received Southeastern Theatre Conference’s Sara Spencer Child Drama Award
2002 50th Anniversary Season and Gala
2001 Cultural Foundation of Broward’s Moretti Award for Cultural Achievement
2000 South Florida Business Journal’s Small Business of the Year Award in $2 million and under budget category (first non-profit and first cultural organization to win)